Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Special Blog Post #1

WolframAlpha

When I did the search, I found that India is bigger than both China and the United States. I must have missed school the day we went over that because I sure thought India didn't have that many people. They have 1.21 BILLION people and China has 1.35 BILLION people. The United States only has 301 million. I thought that was a lot. I can't imagine what their shopping centers are like. I also found that the US's population has stayed about the same throughout the years while the other two countries' populations have increased dramatically.

I compared Mississippi and Alabama. It told me the states' full names and when they joined the Union. It told me the capital of each state, too. Alabama had 4.803 million people and Mississippi had 2.979 million people. That's quite a bit of a difference. Alabama has 69.9% White people and 26.1% Black people. Mississippi has 59.9% White people and 37% Black people. It told a bunch of other stuff about the states like how many businesses they had and how many voters. It told about the schools and the state symbols, too.

I compared apples to oranges. Apples have 91 calories and 482mg of protein. Apples have 45mg of saturated fat. An Orange has 71 calories and 1.4g of protein. They have 36mg of saturated fat. Oranges have way more vitamin c, iron, and calcium than apples. I learned that oranges are just so much better for you than apples. However, apples are easier to eat.

I think this tool would be helpful in a classroom. If students had to do a research project, they could go to this site to answer some questions they had about a certain topic. Or even if they are curious about something, they could find the answer. It could be useful, too, in helping them study for a test. Some information might not be covered in a textbook. They could go to that website and look it up. It could be useful on a test.

I could make up quizzes from certain searches on that website. I could make up homework assignments that aren't so boring. I could make it interesting. I might have a question about something and need to look it up. It's just simple and fast. It's not difficult like having to go to the library and get an encyclopedia. However, I will probably ask my students to use one at some point in the year. I think every student needs to know what they are and how to use them. I say my students my get curious about certain things, but I'm the same way. As I was doing my comparative searches, a little box popped up on the side of the screen and it asked me what was on the other side of the world from my city. Of course I had to know. Unfortunately on the other side of the world from where I'm from is nothing but an ocean.

Social Media

The numbers just kept going and going. I actually sat and watched them change for a few minutes. It's unbelievable how much technology has influenced our lives. It's only going to be even more important to us as time goes on. As for me, I think I'll be able to stay with the constant changing in technology. I think I was introduced to it at the right time. As young adults, we have had to familiarize ourselves with everything and that has only helped us in the education field. Teachers are having to switch over to smart boards and those overhead projector things and honestly, some of my teachers in high school had no idea what they were doing.

I'll be able to use the technology in the classroom as well as explain it to students. I can incorporate Facebook and Twitter into my classroom if I chose to. I am excited and nervous about the technology and how it will effect the students. I know there will be negatives but hopefully the positives will outweight the negatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment