Thursday, March 7, 2013

Blog Post #8




Dr. Richard E. Miller

I liked how he started the video with explaining how far we've come. A book that used to mean so much to us is now only .59 on Amazon. That's crazy talk! He explained that some of the changes were just incremental instead of fundamental. That confused me a bit, but I finally understood what he was talking about. The actual work isn't changing, just how we distribute it. It's funny that he said he article would slowly end up in the trash. He's probably right about that because some people just don't want to take the time to read anymore. Some people don't have the time, either. I like that everything is more web-based now. It can be a problem though when everything is on the internet or computer and we depend on them 100%. What happens when something prevents the computers from working or something? That's already happened to me and I was completely lost. I don't like depending on a computer so much.

Dr. miller also told how he works with his collegues to collaborate over the internet to make projects and things. That's pretty cool and it takes time. I know it's a very convenient way to work together on something. I didn't know we could go on the internet and find how senators voted. I will be checking up on that in the next election. I don't see how that will do me any good, but it's still nice to know the information. You never know when you might get asked to be on "Who wants to be a Millionaire." Also, I like he said we could use videos from YouTube or somewhere to make movies. Like with the Obama election and everything. That's a really good idea.

I've never really known what Itunes U is. I must go check that out at some point. It sounds like it would do me some good because of all the books and movies out there for school students. I'm not sure how I feel about the whale hunt. That makes me sad. It's cool that we can get behind the technology and see how something on the internet is created. I've always wondered how someone makes a website.I hope we do start using FinalCut in our classes. That would be cool. It's crazy to think that if something had been sent to computers for publication that it would take 2 years and there's no telling who would read it and where it would go. But with the internet, people can see and read it instantly. That has definitely been a huge influence in our society. I believe I am ready to write with multimedia. I'm not sure I'm ready to start making whatever that guy was making right before we had to cut the video off. That looked difficult. But using Pinterest and Twitter, Google, blooger, and all the great websites for teachers and students, will not be a problem. My students will use some form of technology. I'm not sure which kind. I'm sure it depends on the school system.

Carly Pugh

I wish I was as creative as Carly. That gene skipped me and went straight to my sister. I am working on it though. The videos in her playlist will come in handy someday and I will probably go back and watch them. I love how everything will stay on the internet so that we can use this as reference when we become teachers. I like the video that is of the schools that children deserve. It's true. We do need schools that are filled with creativity and encourage kids to be their own person instead of trying to make everyone the same. The video that said those that are crazy enough to think they can change the world, do, is probably the best quote ever. I completely agree with that. I wish schools encouraged students to try new things and to think outside the box. I know I will. No more than ever there is diversity in the schools. Parents aren't really used to having such diverse populations in the schools and sometimes I think children pick up on that. We may be from different parts of the world and have different cultures, but we are all humans. Kids don't know any different so we don't need to let them know that we do. I just wish kids could continue to see beyond the skin color and accents. We all want the same things in life. Let's work together instead of fighting.
The "When I Grow Up" video is precious. You don't realize how much influence you have on kids until you see how they act and hear what they're saying. I hope no teacher ever says they want to be a hobo. No matter how cute the kid is saying it, it still scared me. Teachers need to stay positive and always have good things to say. You might marry the wrong person, but there's a right person out there and you'll find her. Eventually. The little kid with all the questions for his teacher about computers and the internet is great. All teachers need to know how to use one and be able to teach kids how to use them correctly and safely. I think a teacher's job is broadening now as the world is learning new things.

The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies

I think a good video for this class would a normal person does throughout the day and doesn't spend 9 hours a week working on this class. And then at the end show what happens.. they probably fail or don't make a good grade. Then would just tell some things that helped me get the grade I got for this class. Number one would be to always be on time!!! It's hard to get that in people's heads these days. Especially mine. Once someone gives me an idea for a video, I can come up with more ideas. Right now I'm completely blank!

Learn to Change, Change to Learn

I agree with what the people in this video are saying. We need to step it up as teachers. One man said that technology really isn't a choice anymore. He couldn't be more right about that. It really is about the relationship and community you build with your students. I like the way these people think. Everyone needs to think like them! However, I'm not sure I like the community system idea all that much. I think we should still have a classroom setting. That works for must students. I like the idea of having field trips and all that fun stuff. That's what keeps in interesting and fun. I hated the boring essays and book reports. It made me hate reading. But when I was in 5th grade I had to write my own story. I had to illustrate it and bind it. I had to put a cover on it like it was a real book. I love crafty things like that. That made me want to read. Not those book reports. I agree with that one man that said the jobs these students now will have when they are older won't require the right answer type of approach. They will definitely be called on to use their creativity and synthesis skills. The world is changing so, we, as teachers, must change with it. Our ways of teaching have to change to prepare the kids for the future.

Web 2.0

Animoto- it's free for Iphone and Droid users. That's a plus! It has high definition everything. So your pictures will be looking GOOD. It's not so free if you want to go Pro with it. If you're really picky about pictures and whatnot, this probably isn't the way to go. But on the plus side is has over 1000 commercially owned songs that you could put with your video. This specifically says there are no "cheesey templates." We're good to go now. It also has lots of different text fonts to use. There are testimonials from previous users. There are commercials done with this. That's pretty cool if you ask me!

Comic: Orange by Emily Barnes:

Poll:










3 comments:

  1. Emily,

    I was just as shocked when Dr. Richard started off his video explaining how far we've come by the example of, a book that used to mean so much to us is now only fifty-nine cents on Amazon. You're also right about depending on our computers and other electronics. I still make sure that I carry a planner and a notebook with me at all times so that just in case my computer stops working I have a backup. It is funny that you brought up how your sister inherited all of the creativity, because that's exactly how it is with my sister and I! I envy her sometimes. However, I enjoyed reading your post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,

    I cannot agree with you more on this blog if I tried. I truly wish there was a way to teach our children, or even children in general, how to look past the color of their skin and that of those around them. Like Jerica said, you are so right about our dependency on technology. When it's up, it's awesome; on the other hand, when it goes wrong, there are few things that are more frustrating. It worries me in a way that we are becoming so dependent on these things. To make it even worse, I know several professors at South that only add to the possible downward spiral. I had a math professor recently that would teach us in class how to solve problems with a calculator, but we weren't allowed to use them on exams. How can someone expect us to be proficient in problem solving if we are denied the only way we learned to carry it out?

    Your post was very interesting! Keep going strong girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! I think I assigned too much for this week! Thanks for covering everything.

    ReplyDelete