Thursday, March 21, 2013

Blog Post #9

What I Learned This Year – Volume 4

Mr. McClung made some very good points. I was surprised to read that he was worried about what his peers thought about him as a teacher. I feel like we all tell each other not to worry about what others think of you, but that's easier said than done. I don't think he's the only teacher that's worried. I know that I'll probably struggle with that, too. I want everyone to think I'm a great teacher and I sure don't want anyone to be mad at me. I have that problem now where I get stressed if I know someone is mad. I think it's best to just stick with being concerned of how you're viewed by your students and the people above you. I like that his question was always, "Are the kids having fun?" That's a great way to be and I will probably always carry that question with me wherever I go. I never want my students to be bored or not want to come to class.

I wish more teachers would learn their lesson about becoming too comfortable as a teacher. I had so many teachers like that growing up. Even in middle school, I could tell when a teacher had been teaching the same stuff for a million years. It was boring and I hated going to class. I'm sure it gets to be a routine and you stop having to study up on everything for your students. I want to be the kind of teacher that has something new every year. I'll be exhausted I'm sure from all the planning, but in the long run it will be worth it. I know now my friends have tests from people that took the same class and they use those to make good grades on the test. The teacher never changes the test. I definitely don't want to be like that. I'm glad he's going to challenge himself to become a better teacher. Hopefully all teachers do that.

The update on his blog said that he was going to move to Woodland Jr. High School and be an administrator. I hope we continue to hear about his learning experiences there!


What I've Learned this Year 2008-2009

I really like this teacher's way of thinking. He points out that most teachers do not make their lessons student-focused. I believe that's true for the school I went to. I hope to be the teacher that everyone loves and I want to have my lessons student-focused so that they actually learn and don't just memorize everything to pass and forget it when they leave. Communication is the best medicine. Period. No matter what situation you're in, it's always good to talk it out. I'm TERRIBLE at communicating. I'm getting better though. I like that he said, " Our job as teachers is to simply pick them up after they fail, dust them off, and encourage them to try again." I agree 100%. We're supposed to be supportive as teachers and guide them in the right direction. As technology continues to advance every day, I don't think many teachers will be as afraid of it as they were back in 2008. I like that he did a survey at the end of the year. I want to do that with my students. I want to be the teacher that listens to my students. Every kid needs someone like that. Lastly, he says to never stop learning. How could we stop? The world is changing everyday so we must be willing to adapt.

At The Teacher's Desk


2 comments:

  1. "I sure don't want anyone to be mad at me." It's time to work on that because it WILL happen. More than you would think!

    "I'm TERRIBLE at communicating. " And it is also time to work on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! I have a problem with communicating and getting my ideas across to people. It's always been better for me to write them down! But as future teachers we can't write our ideas down because the students have to learn on there own. I love how you point out that the world is changing and we must be willing to adapt. I think EDM 310 is preparing us for a life of learning and is giving us the mindset to adapt. education is evolving ans we must evolve with it! I enjoyed your post. It's very straight forward and vibrant. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete