Tuesday, March 5, 2013

C4T #2

I commented on a blog titled, Keeping Kids First by Kelly Hines. She recently changed her blog's title and it's at a whole new website. It's now called, In the Trenches: Thoughts and Ideas from a Classroom Teacher. Her blog on February 10 talked about her using a video read aloud in the classroom for students. She gave reasons why it was a good idea to use it. I agreed with some of them, but I do not agree with her on others. I do not agree with her about everyone loves being read to no matter how old you are. I have never enjoyed that and I always hated when the teacher did that. I probably liked it when I was young, maybe 2nd grade and younger, but after that, no thank you. She said it was a good way to monitor the kids' listening skills. She is right about that. You can definitely tell who pays attention and who doesn't. She also said it was a good built-in make up lesson plan. That is true. I commented and just said I agreed with her reasons why it was good to use the video read aloud books. I didn't say I didn't agree with her about everyone liking it though. I also thanked her for the links to some cute videos that I can show one day when I'm a teacher.

Comment and Post #2: Kelly Hines put the video of Mayim Bialik- Blossoming to Science on her blog. It was really inspiring. She talked about science was hard for her while she was on the set of "Blossom" and that her tutor taught the cell like it was one of Picasso's famous paintings. She said that's when she fell in love with science. She went on to get her PhD in neuroscience. Now she's Amy Farrah Fowler on "The Big Bang Theory." They go to her when they have questions about neuroscience since her character is a neuroscientist. I commented on it and said thank you for posting the video and that it was really inspiring. I said it helped me not to be afraid to admit that I'm a nerd and that I like English. I love to read. So what? I think it'd be great if more people weren't afraid to be themselves.

Comment and Post #3: Kelly Hines told how her students were learning how to divide whole numbers and making fractions. She told the whole process of how she gave them notecards and told them to make up their own problem. Then on another notecard write the answer. Then on another one they drew a picture. She put the girls'in a box and then the boys' in a box and switched them and then had them put them all together. It was really cool. She left a link on her page so we could see some pictures of the work. I commented and said that was really good idea and thank you for posting. Here's the link to her blog.
In the Trenches

No comments:

Post a Comment