Sunday, April 14, 2013

Blog Post #12



We all have dreams and goals. We've had them since we were young. Our parents and friends would always ask us what we wanted to be when we grew up and they would ask why. My answer to that was, "just because." In this blog post, write two or more paragraphs telling about what you wanted to be when you grew up and why. Also, tell if that has changed and if it did, why you think it changed. If it's still the same, are your reasons for wanting to do it still the same? Follow the requirements in Writing a Quality Blog Post.


When I was younger I wanted to be a teacher. Starting in preschool, I would line my dolls and horses up and teach them. I even went as far as having my mom and grandparents sit around in the living room and listen to me. I would sing and sing for hours, making them clap and sing with me. No one knew where that was going, but they still let me do it. I would have "routines" made up and perform them on the trampoline and they would have to sit there and be quiet. I wouldn't let them talk. We have hours worth of home videos of me doing this. I think with them letting me "teach" them, they supported me and encouraged me. In first grade, I would go to the teacher supply stores and buy (my mom or granny would buy) gradebooks and those grading card things. I LOVED to pretend I was a teacher. By fourth grade, I had teacher edition textbooks, a podium, and a markerboard. If you didn't have one of those then you couldn't be a great teacher. By middle and high school I started really thinking about what I wanted to do. I changed my mind probably a million times and by the time I graduated, I had no idea what I wanted to do. The first two years of college, I wanted to be in communications or just major in English since that was the one thing I was good at. My boyfriend at the time convinced me to do nursing. He said it was good money and that I was smart enough to do it. Whether I really wanted to do it or not, I convinced myself he was right. I applied to the nursing program and got accepted. However, that summer really opened my eyes to what I would have to do for the rest of my life and NO I didn't want to be a nurse. So, here I am, waning to be a teacher again.
It changed, but only briefly. I know that God made me to be a teacher and I was silly for not following my heart to begin with. I am so excited to be a teacher and I can't wait! I'm not doing it for the money or health benefits. I'm doing it because I love kids and because seeing a smile on their face will make my day ten times better.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Emily! I like this blog post a lot! I think it would really make someone think and reflect on their decision to be a teacher. I feel like I was the exact same way as you were, when you were little! So glad you now know what you should do with your career choice! You are a great writer, hope you have taken a lot from this class! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete